Thursday, May 19, 2011

Numbers

I have a fondness for numbers. Numbers are comforting and predictable, far more predictable than words! Although I am not always predictable about numbers. For example, I tend to prefer birthdays that are even numbered, for me there's almost a sense of relief at turning from an odd into an even number. But then, for my lucky numbers, or the numbers I feel attracted to, I prefer odds - go figure! Maybe it's because, with the exception of the number 2, all prime numbers are odd, and I like primes.

Anyway, some numbers I've noticed this week:

The car's odometer ticked over 175571 (the kids & I like playing spot the odometer patterns.) I know, I can hear you say, shouldn't you be watching the road?!

When editing The Faceless the word count number 31113 was on page 103 and the word was 'feet' which is measurement and thus a number.

3 - The number of 'gifts' Louie the cat brought in this week. The first was a huge rat, fortunately dead. The second a skink, fortunately alive and liberated back to the wild. The third, a cicada - he likes to hold them in his mouth and go slightly cross-eyed while they buzz!

5 - The number of branches I saw break off our neighbour's big gum tree and fly off in the strong winds we had the other day. I found that a little disconcerting!

So you're probably thinking so what? Numbers schmumbers. But they all do a good job of distracting me from this little number...

6 - Weeks till my deadline - Arggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vanda - Isn't it interesting and fun how easy we find it to distract ourselves? ;-). Interesting numbers stuff. I have to say I don't find numbers as fascinating as you do, 'though I agree they're beautifully predictable.

Jason Payne said...

Numbers are interesting things to watch (a geeky occupational hazard of being an Accountant - plus a nice diversion when entering screeds of information!)

Not envying you the deadline but I'm sure we're all looking forward to the end result! :)

Best of luck Vanda,

Jason
London

Pen said...

Great post Vanda.
Just a bit of deadline encouragement: We can't wait to read the next one.