Sunday, November 20, 2011

Two reasons to celebrate

Reason number one:

Revisions for The Faceless are finished and I get my life back for a while (and will get to do a few of things I've ignored for a while like blogging, playing with the kids, gardening, cleaning the house...okay, maybe not cleaning the house!)

Reason number two:


My radio show, Write On, which I do for the Otago Southland branch of the New Zealand Society of Authors won the best show in the Community Group category in the Otago Access Radio Air Awards! I'm an award winning broadcaster! Last night's awards night was fantastic, and highlighted the true strength of Access Radio, which is giving a voice to the community - the range of groups, individuals and shows was hugely diverse and so inspiring! One of the people I admire most in this world took out the grand prize for best overall show, which is Julie Woods, otherwise known as That Blind Woman. Julie does an incredible show called Cooking Without Looking, and everyone was rapt she took out the big one.

I felt immensely proud and humbled to win the Community Groups category and the judges comments were marvelous. So a huge thank you to the OAR staff, Lesley, Jeff and Geoff for all their support, and The University Book Shop who sponsors the show, and thank you to all the wonderful guests I've had the pleasure of interviewing over the years. Producing and hosting Write On has broadened my horizons in ways I could never have imagined six years ago when I did that first show, feeling so nervous I wanted to throw up! Looking back, there are distinct advantages to lacking the ability to say no!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, well-done, Vanda!!! I am truly happy for you!

Vanda Symon said...

Thanks Margot, I am very, very chuffed!

Kerrie said...

Congratulations Vanda

Bernadette said...

Oh congratulations Vanda...I listen to local community radio a lot and find it a terrific medium, so nice to see such an array of people with different skills and knowledge sharing those things with others. Well done.

Jason Payne, London said...

Congrats Vanda! Hope you enjoy your well deserved break! :-)

Dorte H said...

What wonderful news! I am sure now the local media are growing more interested in you and your career :D

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations Vanda, You do a fantastic show. I enjoy listening to you and your guests. You have come a long way since that first tummy churning session and truly deserve this award.

maggie@at-the-bay.com said...

Congratulations Vanda.

World of the Written Word said...

Another reason for congratulation, Vanda -- Bound is one of the Listener's 100 best books of 2011. It's on the first page of the line-up, complete with a good excerpt from the rave review, and a picture of the jacket. Well done, Queen of Crime and heir to Ngaio Marsh!

Claire Beynon said...

Congrats, Ms Symon - two well-deserved honours! L, C xo