Thursday, October 30, 2008

There were rotting corpses everywhere...

...and man, they could dance. So could the vampires, myriad of wizards and witches and the odd black cat. There's something quite heart warming about seeing a Storm Trooper and Luke Skywalker boogieing on down together in peaceful harmony. The universe is safe.

As you have probably guessed we have survived the school Halloween disco, although a lot of over-excited boys and girls with swords, axes, light-sabres and tridents left me wondering how I'd fill in the "Risk Management Evaluation" form in the case of an accidental beheading or evisceration.

Mr Six year-old wanted to go as a wizard, which was easy as he trotted out in the costume I'd made him for a friend's birthday party. Mr Nine-year old had slightly higher aspirations and wanted to go as Harry Potter, but not any old Harry Potter, no, he wanted to be Harry Potter in his Quidditch Uniform. Right.

So, being the indulgent mother I am, I've spent the last week drafting and sewing a Quidditch Gown, in Gryffindor red and gold and complete with house crest. Must say I'm pretty chuffed with my efforts and he looked very Harry with the appropriate pair of glasses, lightning bolt scar on his forehead and a broomstick.

Actually, I have to admit getting the ole sewing machine out and making it sing was quite therapeutic, even if it was a bit of a distraction from the writing thing. But hey, you're only nine once, and I bet you in 50 years time when someone asks him what he remembers most about primary school, it wont be the maths or the grammar he'll recall. No, he'll say he remembers the night he flew around a hall-full of the living dead, chasing the Golden Snitch to the beat of the Macarena.

3 comments:

Mary McCallum said...

Lovely post, Vanda. You are right - it's a wonderful thing to help a child be the person or creature fermenting in his or her imagination. Clever you, too, getting it so right. My daughter used to want to be Harry Potter, or Hermione, and before that a mermaid or Cinderella... Now, at 12, she has organised an outfit for trick or treating all by herself. Trouble is, she looks like a cowgirl stripper...

The Paradoxical Cat said...

Happy Halloween!

I have no objection to the adoption of this one at all - the more holidays and festivals the better!

Vanda Symon said...

Ah yes, it was all so worth seeing the sheer joy and excitement on little faces.

Mr Eight-year-old said to me yesterday, after they'd done a Halloween chocolate hunt I'd hidden around the yard, "It's awesome having a mum like you." I had to go and have a little cry.