Friday, January 15, 2010

In the top 5


I squealed with delight when I got a wee email from Penguin to let me know Containment was number 4 in the New Zealand Fiction for Adults Best Seller List!

This is the first time I've ever made the top five and I feel ridiculously pleased, so much so I went and put something bubbly in the fridge for tonight. It's given my ego a nice little boost, because that means people are buying my book - and not just my family and friends! (Mind you, my family is big enough it could just about tip me into the list by itself)

The news has come at a really good time for me, because one of the things about being a writer is the ebb and flow of self-confidence and self doubt, which can change as often as the tides, depending on how the writing muse has been co-operating. And although I've had some good writing days recently, I've had that stupid little voice in my head, the one that quietly self-sabotages and constantly asks why are you really doing this? What's the point? Is what I do really meaningful?

So for me, this little snippet of news means a lot, as it's a vote of confidence from the readers. God bless your little cotton socks!

13 comments:

Bernadette said...

Congratulations and do enjoy your success. We humans always seem to be willing to wallow in pity when bad stuff happens but we're not nearly as good at celebrating the good things that happen to us.

Kiwicraig said...

Awesome stuff Vanda. Really, really pleased for you. Well deserved to - more people need to be exposed to and reading your work, it's great stuff.

Claire Beynon said...

Excellent news, Sam - er, I mean, Vanda.
Enjoy those bubbles.
Here's to you xx

Sue McMillan said...

Congratulations Vanda. Great news, you deserve it. Enjoy that bubbly.

TK Roxborogh said...

I understand your joy and I get your sensitive jaded ego thing. This is a huge 'ups' for Vanda and I predict (support me here Kiwicraig) that this is the start of good things to come.

Hey:
this chick can write.
this chick can nail a ripping yarn.
this chick is a valued member of the writer community.

Oh, and by the way (author boast), she's one of my most beloved of friends.

Vanda Symon (even the name is special) is a credit to our country.

Go Vanda! go Vanda! oh yeah (doing a dance) go Vanda! She's the man. go Vanda

Kerrie said...

Well done Vanda. Have some bubbly for me!

Rachael King said...

Yay! I saw that and was very pleased for you (and I am nipping at your heels at #5!)

Pen said...

Congrats! I'm so going to buy ALL your books. I LOVE them. Keep up the good work!

Vanda Symon said...

Thanks everyone!

The bubbly was great, the head a little delicate in the morning...

I'm still grinning.

The Paradoxical Cat said...

Bloody good thing too! Congrats!

I gave your book as a Xmas present and it was so appreciated they want to go back and read the earlier two, now!

Kiwicraig said...

I also gave a copy to a friend prior to Xmas, so looking forward to hearing what they think of it when I see them next...

Mary McCallum said...

Missed this!!!! Fantastic news Vanda. Go youuuuuuu. X

Kerrie said...

Vanda - yopu might like to check my blog