Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Let them eat cake

Today we had a little party for the transition of Mr Seven-Year-Old to Mr Eight-Year-Old. There were all the usual elements: a gaggle of excited children, balloons and streamers, treasure hunt, Simon Says, Hide and Seek, lunch with sausage rolls, cheerios, little sandwiches, chippies, cheese and crackers, carrot sticks, cucumber and grapes. And of course there was cake.

When Mr now Eight-Year-Old was planning his party (which he has been for months) he decided he wanted a Wonders of the World party. Cool, that left lots of scope for games and bits and pieces.

I asked him what sort of cake he would like?

Stonehenge he said.

Stonehenge?

Stonehenge.

Gulp goes mum.

When in doubt, have a go...




I am delighted with the result, and it was easier than I thought it would be.



Damn chuffed with it, actually.

Amazing what you can do with icing.

Happy Eight-Year-Old.

8 comments:

Claire Beynon said...

Brilliant Vanda! Now we all know who to contact when our birthdays come along... Do you make elephants? Octopi? The odd Foraminiferan? x

Kerrie said...

Great cake! well done

Uriah Robinson said...

A superb cake which looks a lot better than the actual Stonehenge.

Dorte H said...

And I thought I did well when I produced tiny buns with icing in three different colours.

Your cakes rock!

Vanda Symon said...

Thanks guys - I told Mr Eight-Year-Old the only reason he gets birthday parties is because I like eating the party food and making cakes!

The banana cake hiding underneath Stonehenge was so yummy, and disappeared so quickly I had to make another one today. (Also poor Hubby didn't manage to get a piece of the Birthday cake, it all got scoffed.)

Sue McMillan said...

You really are a Domestic Goddess! Great cake.Aren't kids birthdays so much fun, despite the hardwork?

GVLJ said...

Hey, I've been asked to make a Stonehenge cake.. just been looking for inspiration and found yours.. would you share your icing secret for the stones - no idea how to get the colour or well any off it sorted really :-)

Vanda Symon said...

I used Bakel's Pettinice white icing, which comes in blocks, and got the marbled stone look by using a black gel food colouring (not liquid - makes the icing slushy), and sort of folding it through the rolled out icing an a random kind of a way. Sort of like making pastry. To make the stones I started out with a map of Stonehenge - great what you can find on the internet, and then just ripped chunks of the coloured icing, then channeled my inner child like I was playing with plasticine. It was a lot of fun!

Good luck!