Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Covered again...

It's been a crazy, busy time - NZ Book Month has been full on for me, last week it was the Book Lovers' Quiz Night that I organised at the Mornington Tavern. It was a fun night out, with a team from the Dunedin Library taking out the top honours for the quiz. A blokes' book group took the title for the best team name with The Novel Gazers.

Next week I'm off to do a three day tour of the West Coast for NZ Book Month, I love the West Coast, so was rapt to be invited over. The fellas here will have to survive by themselves for a few days. Mind you, Mr Eleven-Year-Old cooked the perfect roast chicken dinner the other night, so I'm sure they'll cope.

I mentioned in the last post I've now acquired all of Ngaio Marsh's novels, so I've started collecting specific cover artists, because a girl has always got to have something she wants to buy. The two I'm really interested in are Justin Todd and Philip Hood.

Here's a few of Justin Todd's...


Scales of Justice. I love this, especially the bullet hole in the man's forehead, very tasteful. Dead fish, dead man, fabulous.


Dead Water. This is one scary lady. That look says I've been sucking lemons for years, don't mess with me. But we all know Miss Emily Pride is going to ruffle a few too many feathers...




The Nursing Home Murder. There's something about a surgeon with a monocle and a hypodermic needle...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vanda - Those covers are very suitably creepy; I can see why you're collecting Todd's work. I hope you have a great trip next week!

Bernadette said...

Your 11 year old cooked a roast chicken? At 11 I could barely do toast. Impressive

Vanda Symon said...

Hi Margot - yes, they are deliciously creepy. I like a touch of menace.

Hi Bernadette. I am determined not to breed useless males, having flatted with some in my time, so both kids cook, and each one gets to cook dinner once a fortnight. They do a great job, and if I play my cards right I'll be completely redundant in the kitchen soon... I should mention Hubby is a good cook too, so if I'm clever...

J.T. Webster said...

Yay, to writer's being redundant in the kitchen! I've trained my oldest and I'm working on the next two.

Have an awesome time on the West Coast.

Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

Vanda at sixty-one I am not only useless, but I'm completely spoiled. Glad to hear you're determined to change things. Cheers.

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

You and your covers.... grin.

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Don't forget your bug spray.

Dorte H said...

My, the middle one is brilliant :D