Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Spoilers be damned.

I really enjoy going out to talk to book groups, and I've realised there are two kinds of book groups. Of course, they all give me wine, so they are all the same there, oh, and cake too. Where they differ is in their approach to book selection.

Some book groups every one gets together each month and talks about whatever they have been reading - it's the individuals choice, and the books they read are often snapped up by other members who've liked the sound of them. I know I've come away from these groups with lots of titles written in my little 'must read' note book.

The other type of group is where everyone reads the same book, then they have a lively discussion about the merits and otherwise of the books. last week, I had my first outing to one of these book groups, and the book they had all read was Bound! I had my sister-in-law to thank for the invitation and she enjoyed the kudos she got by nonchalantly saying to her group, oh, I know the author, I can get her along if you like. What I really enjoyed about this group was they had all read the book! So for the first time, I didn't have to tiptoe around, not trying to give things away and spoil it for the people who hadn't read my books. It was so liberating! I could tell a few nifty anecdotes that I can't disclose to general public talks because of the spoilers. It was great fun.

My sister-in-law also reminded her group why it wasn't good being related to or friends with an author because they borrow bits of your life. Oops! I'd forgotten she'd provided me with a few gems over the years.

It was a great night out, and it was lovely to be able to blather about everything - no tongue biting required.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vanda - So glad you had a nice time. And of course, there's the wine and cake, too :-). It's an interesting question - how much to say when you're talking to readers. I've run into that, myself, and there is definitely something relaxing and liberating about talking to people who have read one's book. No need to worry about spoilers :-).

Karyn said...

I do like the idea of wine and cake...and not having to dodge those spoilers. Pleased you had a great night out.

Beattie's Book Blog said...

I find crime fiction quite difficult to review because you have to strenuously avoid giving too much plot detail and in particular you must at all costs avoid spoilers.