Thursday, March 22, 2012

Wonderful Wellington

The Wellington Festival of the Arts Writers and Readers Week was fantastic. The days I enjoyed in the capital were idyllic - sunny, no wind, and the city was abuzz with the festival and also a triathlon in town. It was the perfect backdrop for a gal let loose in the city. Yes, I got to be Vanda for the weekend, not Mummy. Vanda got to stay in the very flash and character filled Museum Art Hotel. Vanda got to play frisbee with the lads (although, to my disappointment, none of them had to go for an impromptu swim to collect said frisbee from the harbour). Vanda got to schmooze and finally meet lots of people she only knew from the blogosphere and email. Vanda got to go out to the wee hours of the morning - those crime writer people are bad news, they lead me astray. You get the picture - I had a great time.

I got to see Jo Nesbo in action, and to finally see Headhunters the movie. I didn't enjoy the book, but loved the movie! It was a lot funnier on screen than the book.

The panel event I was there for was great fun. Craig Sisterson was a fab chair, and I always enjoy sharing a stage with Paul Cleave. It was the first time I had met Paul Thomas, and came to the conclusion he's a good bloke.

I got to meet many writers, and enjoyed drinks and chats with local writers Craig Cliff, Eleanor Catton, Helen Heath, Yvonne Walus and Dave Armstrong, among many others. Also got to have fun out with Denise Mina and Robert Shearman. It was my first experience at the Wellington Festival, and hopefully there will be more!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vanda - So glad to hear you had such a good experience at the festival!

Yvonne Walus said...

Loved the panel. You rocked on the stage, girl! Here's to many more festivals.

Dorte H said...

I know what you mean by being Vanda, not Mummy, for a few days :)

And I´d love to meet Denise Mina and Jo Nesbø - and you, of course!

Well, perhaps I´ll get a chance to meet Nesbø closer to home at some point :)

maggie@at-the-bay.com said...

Envious of your fun with Robert Shearman and Denise Mina - what characters - so glad Wellington turned it on for you.