Monday, May 17, 2010

A new profanity

I'm editing, editing, editing Bound at the moment, and the process reminded me of a wee whoopsie I experienced when editing Containment.

There were quite a few young male characters in Containment, and as part of my research I'd checked out the most popular names for babies when they would have been born, thinking I was being clever. My publisher said nah, they're too similar, it gets confusing for the reader, change them, make them more distinctive. So I had a good think, picked some different names and went about swapping them using the Microsoft Office 'find and replace' function.

One of the characters was named Chris. Fine, I thought, I'll change him to Leo.

Typed Chris into 'Find and Replace' to change to Leo, elected 'replace all', pressed enter.

This is where I discovered quite how often Sam Shephard takes the Lord's name in vain.

Jesus Leot!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vanda - LOL! Thanks for sharing that story. Nice to know I'm not the only one who runs into things like that when I write ; ).

Kiwicraig said...

ROTFLMAO. Nice one Vanda.

Have fun in Wgtn next week - looks like a great event with you, Paul, and Neil. Hope you get a good crowd - you all deserve to.

Dorte H said...

Oh my .....t!

I was so proud of myself recently when I ´moved´ a story two years. I remembered to begin by changing 1913 to 1915 before I changed 1912 to 1914 and 1910 to 1912!

raewyn said...

Funny story - I'm sure we have all global replaced and suffered at some point!

So when is BOUND due out??

Vanda Symon said...

Bound is due out early next year, Raewyn. I'd better finish writing it, hadn't I?!