Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Regent 24 Hour Book Sale

Yes, hold onto your wallets people, the countdown is on to my all time favourite annual event in Dunedin, the Regent 24-hour Book Sale. The world-famous-in-Dunedin book sale is into its 30th year, and according to the organisers there are over 300 000 books on offer, yes, there were five zeros on that figure.

I know, you're thinking, Vanda, you've just moved house, you haven't got room for the books you've got, you don't need any more. BUT, I feel it is my civic duty as a card carrying Dunedinite to support the Regent Book Sale, as it is the life-line for the restoration of the fabulous Regent Theatre here, which is struggling to survive. The Otago Theatre Trust needs to raise $2 million by the 21st of June to secure DCC funding of $4 million. They're just shy of half a mil so far. I will do my bit by buying a few books...

The sale runs from noon this Friday, til noon Saturday. As usual there will be live entertainment to add to the already incredible atmosphere created by throngs of people searching for treasures amongst the groaning trestle tables stuffing the aisles, stage and balconies of the theatre.

Can't wait, already planning my tactics on how to smuggle more books into the house without anyone noticing...

2 comments:

J.T. Webster said...

Good luck with the fossicking, hope you find some treasures.

Good luck with smuggling them into the house. Maybe a stealthy 2am expedition will do the trick.

Vanda Symon said...

I slept through the opportunity for a middle of the night foray! Ah, but I did find some treasures, which I'll post about later...