Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Local picks for Christmas

Tonight I got to go on Dunedin's Channel 9 Dunedin Diary Programme, hosted by Dougal Stevenson, and give my Christmas recommendations for that all around perfect gift - a book. Dunedin Diary is deliciously local orientated, and Dunedin writers have been very busy, so I had difficulty narrowing it down to five.


Children's picture book:

Cloudcatcher by Sue Wootton and illustrated by Carla Braun-Elwert

Mr Bellavista gets a bit carried away in the bid for his perfect tomatoes.


Young Adult Fiction:

Bloodlines by Tania Roxborogh.

Fleance, son of Banquo discovers how everything changes when you're king.





Fiction:

The Hut Builder by Laurence Fearnley.

Boden Black, butcher, has his horizons expanded in all directions one summer on Mount Cook.





Poetry:

Time of the Icebergs by David Eggleton

Hot off the press.






Non Fiction:

The Tasman by Neville Peat

A big biography of a big ocean.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vanda - Those do look like terrific books for the different audiences. And I like your interesting promoting local books and authors.

Vanda Symon said...

Hi Margot - it's great to get the opportunity to promote the locals. There are plenty of great writers in Dunedin, so there's plenty to choose from!

Beattie's Book Blog said...

Interesting selections Vanda. I haven't seen the new David Eggleton collection yet so will look forward to that.

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

oh what fun, but where am I suppose to put all the books I already have?

Easy Lifestyles said...

Thanks for sharing these books. I found your article very useful.

Bev Hankins said...

Hello! I see that you've signed up for my Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge. Welcome! Please remember that if you would like to be eligible for a prize, then you need to choose your challenge level (and let me know)....before you complete it.

Also, I wanted to let you know that I have posted a Progress & Review site where I can track how my challengers are doing. When you complete a book, I'd appreciate it if you would leave a comment at the site with the title & author info or email it to me here at gmail. If you do a review and would like to link it up, send me the review link as well.

Progress/Review Post: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/01/vintage-mystery-progress-and-review.html.

Hope you enjoy the challenge!