Monday, August 4, 2008

Over the airwaves

The hoohah was in full swing over the weekend, with reviews in the papers and radio interviews.

Lynn Freeman interviewed me on Radio new Zealand's Arts on Sunday programme.
I'm not technically capable enough to put one of those audio thingamagees onto the blogpage, so here's a direct link to the pod cast

The Christchurch Press had a fabulous review of The Ringmaster on Saturday, which I'm going to inflict upon you all, simply because it makes me smile and fuels my ego.

"How refreshing to find a murder mystery, written in New Zealand, set in New Zealand, and thoroughly good entertainment. This is the second appearance of Sam Shephard, once sole constable in Mataura and now a struggling detective trainee in Dunedin. Sam has problems – her mother, her boss, and her would-be lovers. But she is a thoroughly determined and energetic young woman and the unpleasant murder of a female student in the Dunedin Botanic Gardens gives her a chance to show her skills. The moods, the weather, the views, and the people of Dunedin all come alive. Staff at Otago University are not always happy to be interviewed. One of Sam’s colleagues concludes: “The university is just a more articulate version of a primary-school playground.”
The circus is in town and provides a huge reservoir of possible suspects. The big top has made slow progress south from Christchurch and so far there have been four unsolved deaths in other places as the circus has passed through. The circus folk do not like the police, especially when animal-rights demonstrators get into the act. Sam’s only friend at the circus turns out to be Cassie the elephant. Sam tells the story herself with an engaging honesty and directness. Vanda Symon wavers a little in her final explanation of the mystery, but The Ringmaster is still good enough to send the reader back to her first book (Overkill), and look forward to her next."

Naylor Hillary.


I do have to say I'm relieved at having good reviews so far, because I'm not ashamed to admit I'm the kind of girl who cries at bad reviews! No reaching for the tissues yet.

Our household seems to be reaching for the bowls though - two kiddies home sick from school today - hoorah!

2 comments:

The Paradoxical Cat said...

Congratulations yet again! And I heard you on the radio too - good to hear you on the other side of the microphone for a change ;-)

I've got to the end of "The Ringmaster" now and I enjoyed it so much, I finished reluctantly. It's that sweet sadness of liking a book and wishing I could still be reading it.
I don't know much about the genre, but your story certainly held my attention in thrall and took me through an emotional mill as well. Your characters live. And I so enjoy your excellent portrayal of the Kiwi idiom, and life in Dunedin. Respect.

Vanda Symon said...

Thank you Mme Paradoxical.