Monday, August 18, 2008

Recent acquisitions


I recently read this interesting article about Kate Summerscale and her book The Suspicions of Mr Whicher. This book has won the 2008 Samuel Johnston Prize for non-fiction.

The book looks into the Road Hill Murder, in 1860 Wiltshire, which caused national hysteria at the time. Jack Whicher, of Scotland Yard, was the most celebrated detective of his day and his example inspired writers such as Dickens and Arthur Conan Doyle and the creation of his Sherlock Holmes.

Naturally, I wanted this book the moment I read about it, so I was over the moon when, I was gifted a copy. (Thanks Bill!)

My only lament is that the must-read-now-because-of-commitments pile on my bedside table is a bit alarming, and I will have to wait before I get to rip into it. Patience was never one of my strengths.

Other crime writers have had their curiosity piqued too, so Here is Ian Rankin's review of the book.

You'll have to wait a bit longer for mine...

No comments: