Thursday, July 17, 2008

The black hole effect

Yesterday I mentioned the pile of books on my bedside table, you know, the pile that has achieved its own gravitational field. I'm one of those people who likes to be prepared; for radio interviewing, for public talks, panel discussions, anything where you could be made to look like a prized idiot if you're not.


I'm the first to admit, I'm not the worlds fastest reader. I'm more of a slow digester than a gulper, and can't bring myself to skim-read anything. It would seem somehow disrespectful to the author who slaved away for years. (Cue the memory of mother's voice at the dinner table - I spent all day cooking that meal, now slow down.) So I'm looking at this pile and thinking hmmmm, I've got a bit of work to do.

So here's what I'm reading and will be reading for the next wee while:


Facing the Music: Charles Baeyertz and the Triad by Joanna Woods. I'm pre-recording an interview with Joanna next Friday for the Write On radio show.


Beak of the Moon by Philip Temple. This is a re-issue of Beak of the Moon, and Philip has re-written parts of text where new information has come to light on the behaviour of the Kea. I'll be interviewing Philip for radio soon.

Cemetery Lake, by Paul Cleave. I'll be speaking on a panel with Paul at The Press Christchurch Writers Festival.


Towards Aotearoa by David Eggleton. I'll be interviewing David for Write On.

For recreational reading I'm going a bit retro and enjoying Ngaio Marsh's A Man Lay Dead. I plan to go and check out her house when I'm in Christchurch.

I also need to read some Mark Billingham, so if anyone has read his books and recommends one, I'd welcome a suggestion.


So there you go, a fun little mix of fact and fiction. No doubt it will be peppered with some of the books I've, ahem, succumbed to purchasing recently.

Must dash, got a good book to read...

No comments: