Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Books for Boys


I have on occasion asked the folk out there in the blogosphere their opinions on good books for boys. I feel blessed to have two boys who devour books, all kinds of books. Over the holidays Mr Eight-Year-Old has become addicted to Enid Blyton's Famous Five books. Mr Ten-Year old can't get his hands on enough Star Wars books.

A friend who understands these things (ie she's blessed with two boys who love books as well) sent a link to this excellent selection of best books for boys and young men as expressed by The Art of Manliness. There are lots of titles in there I have read, and a number that have made me curious enough to want to track them down.

There are a few I would add to that list, that were favourites of mine as a kid - I had a liking for adventure novels and anything to do with Medieval times and the Romans.

The Gauntlet by Ronald Welch.
Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliffe.
The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart.
The Sword in the Stone by TH White.

I'd also have to chuck in some great New Zealand boys books mine have loved

Under the Mountain, by Maurice Gee
My Life of Crime, by Fleur Beale
Space Gum, by Tania Roxborogh
Recycled, by Sandy McKay
Sting, by Raymond Huber,
Castaway, by Bill O'Brien

To name a few.

The hardest thing is deciding what fab boys book to read to them or introduce to them next. Our next bedtime reading book is to be The Hobbit, by JRR Tolkein.

It's great having boys!

8 comments:

Pen said...

A new writer I have recently discovered (possibly for slightly older boys 11/12ish and up) is Judson Robert's Strongbow Saga: Viking Warrior (1) and Dragons from the Sea (2). I'm not sure of the title of book three. These are great. I loved them. Great history for boys who love a bit of adventure.

max said...

It's so important to draw attention to reading, and attract reluctant readers to it,especially boys. In fact, I've recently completed a feature magazine article on this subject that came out in October, "Help for Struggling, Reluctant Readers."

I grew up as a reluctant reader, in spite of the fact that my father published over 70 books. Now I write action-adventures & mysteries, especially for tween boys, that avid boy readers and girls enjoy just as much.

My blog, Books for Boys http://booksandboys.blogspot.com is dedicated to drawing attention to the importance of reading. And my new book, Lost Island Smugglers - first in the Sam Butler Adventure Series - coming out in June.

Keep up your good work.

Max Elliot Anderson

Dorte H said...

I take it you have read Harry Potter? And what about the Narnia series?

Anonymous said...

The Dark is Rising. But maybe start with book two - and don't dare go anywhere near the film...

Beattie's Book Blog said...

THE HOBBIT, WHAT LUCKY BOYS..........

Sue McMillan said...

Seeing The Gauntlet by Ronald Welch brought back so many wonderful memories. I read it first at intermediate and several times since and reading it to my two boys was a real treat. The Crystal Cave is another firm favourite which my eldest (17) enjoyed too. Have you read any of Lemony Snicketts Series of Unfortunate Events? My boys devoured them. Other firm favs are Emily Rhodda, Kevin Crossly-Holland. Anthony Horowitz, Susan Cooper, the Dark is Rising and of course JKRowling. Isn't it great to revisit our old favs with our kids? Oh, just remembered the fantastic Cornelia Funke. The Thief Lord and Dragon Rider are excellent.

Vanda Symon said...

Thanks everyone, I've jotted down some more titles to seek out for the little folk.

I'm so delighted to have a couple of read-o-holics, but then, we are a very, very book friendly household! (Ie, you can't help but trip over the blessed things because they're every where!)

Dave B said...

Thornspell - Helen Lowe.

Chch writers (and friend) reimagination of Sleeping Beauty

www.thornspell.info