Saturday, July 24, 2010

Back in the mix

I've just returned from a lovely jaunt to Wanaka to talk to the Wanaka Y3A group. It was a great trip. I'd forgotten how pleasurable it is to drive for 3 1/2 hours by yourself, without the continuous chatter of little kiddies in the back seat asking where the next play ground is? Can we have something to eat? Are we there yet? Where you can have your music playing, and as loud as you like. And you can sing your heart out without the risk of ridicule. Of course I had the requisite stop at Roxburgh for a world famous in Otago Jimmy's pie on the way up, and the way back too - well, it would have been rude not to. I also got to catch up with my Paper Obsessed friend.

When you talk to the Y3A, it's a two hour gig, so I'd wondered how I'd go for that length of time. I needn't have worried, I could happily have gone on for longer. They were a great bunch to talk to, and asked well thought out questions. I must have done OK as no one looked like they were about to nod off. They also took me out for lunch afterward and gave me a very nice bottle of Central Otago Pinot Noir - so it was all good!

Tomorrow night I get to talk to a University Hostel. I'll even get a hostel dinner - that will bring back memories. I'll get to see if hostel food has progressed from deep fried Wiener Schnitzel and over cooked mixed veges.

And with a book group talk I did on Wednesday, it's been a very talky week.

Will next week be quieter? I'd hoped so but.... nah.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vanda - Sounds like a wonderful trip! I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself. I think trips like that re-charge one to face the domestic front again..

Dave B said...

Hey, that's so cool. What was the topic?

Vanda Symon said...

The trip was a wonderful respite from normal life. It was a talk of two halves - the first half I talked about my writing and the importance of place and setting in fiction, and the second half I talked about Dame Ngaio Marsh and the research I've been doing on her. They were a great audience who asked good questions.

My university hostel talk was great fun, and yes, hostel food has improved a lot!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

I'm laughing, thanks for the link to my blog... come play with paper in Wanaka anytime!