Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Booked out

I recently posted about the looming Longacre Press book sale, and their cunning ploy of serving wine to would-be customers while they perused the piles of discounted books. They went one devious step further, and served chocolates as well.

It worked.

I made a few purchases, and will state at the outset, they are all titles I'd been looking at purchasing anyway, well, most of them were. (I suggested to Barbara Larsen they might like to include a bookcase manufacturer in next year's sale.)

So a little summary of my purchases, and yes, I'm kind of embarrassed about how many I brought, but hey, I can justify them.

For the Crime Writer:

Getting away with Murder: The Jennifer Beard Enquiry, by Mark Price
A City Possessed: The Christchurch Civic Creche Case, by Lynley Hood. (Lynley spoke about this at the Forensic Biology University of Otago Summer School course I did, and it was fascinating.)


Pictorial:

Click! Portraits of New Zealanders, by Reg Graham. (The late Reg Graham was a wonderful portrait photographer and a gentleman, who we all miss)
The Art of Graham Sydney. (A book we'd purchased as gifts for others, but didn't have a copy of our own)



General Interest:

Hurricane Tim: The Story of Tim Wallis, by Neville Peat. (We're Air Show junkies)
Wild Walks: Explore Natural New Zealand, by Mark Pickering
Falling for Science, by Bernard Beckett

Not so interesting, but necessary:

Tax in New Zealand by Martin Hawes
The School of Home Truths by Martin Hawes
The New Retirement: Smart Tips for Boomers by Bill Jamieson. (No, that one's not for us. As much as Hubby would love to retire right now, he can't because he has a writer-wife to support who spends what precious little she does earn from writing on more books!)

Took one of the kids and he chose (Because it would have been rather hypocritical of me to say no, you can't get that...)

Icebergs: The Antarctic comes to town, by Dave Cull
The Plight of the Penguin, by Lloyd Spencer Davis
Winging it: The Adventures of Tim Wallis, by Neville Peat (We breed Air Show junkies too)





So there you go, an eclectic mix of the wonderful fare on offer from our local publishing house. It just goes to show, you can't trust a gal with a glass of wine in a book shop.

2 comments:

The Paradoxical Cat said...

Dammit, you did have to mention tax!

A great haul of books there. It's so interesting to know what other people are reading. I'm the sort of person who can't help checking out somebody's bookshelves, I'd be much more interested in what they read than what they wear or how they earn their money.

Law and Order said...

Just to say Vanda that I read your book Overkil until the early hours of the morning because it was so compelling. I really am going to become a vegetarian. Nah! Anyway I'm really looking forward to your next one. Hurry...